Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Food Day: Breakfast For Dinner

I love breakfast anytime of day, but for some reason breakfast always tastes better at dinnertime. I am not sure why that is, but it does. We had leftover tortillas from our fajitas night and some hot sausage in the freezer so I knew what I would make, breakfast burritos! One of my husband's favorite dinners, and also what he gets when he picks up breakfast from McDonalds. :)

This recipe is super simple (like all of them are) and doesn't take a lot of ingredients so it is really good on a budget as well. 

Breakfast Burritos

Ingredients:

  • 6-7 eggs (depending on how much you want to make), beaten
  • Pound of Sausage (I use hot because I enjoy spicy foods)
  • 1/2 large onion
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Tortilla
  • Shredded Cheese (or whatever you have on hand)


Brown the sausage in a fry pan and halfway through add your chopped onion. Brown it really good so it has a little bit of a crust. Once it is browned and your onion is translucent add your scrambled eggs to the mixture. No need to drain the sausage, the extra juices make it that much more tasty. If you want to drain it, that would be fine as well, but I don't. Stir your eggs often (just as you would to make scrambled eggs) until they are firm and done. Pile mixture onto a tortilla, top with cheese and I usually microwave it for 10 seconds to melt the cheese. This doesn't need to be done though. Add your favorite toppings and start chowing down. I like salsa and sour cream on my burrito. 

See how simple that was?

Note: Green Peppers would be good, just add them when you add the onion. I am not a fan of green peppers so I omit them. 

Fried Potatoes

Ingredients:

  • 2-3 large potatoes
  • Half of an onion (I use the other half from the burritos)
  • 2 Tablespoons of butter (or oil can be used or both together!)
  • Salt and Pepper


I start by taking the potatoes and putting them in the oven for 30 minutes to soften them. Just as you would when making baked potato. I find this helps them when you try to fry them later. Once soften, slice into chip sized pieces. Cook potatoes and onion in the butter on medium heat for about ten minutes or until golden. I usually add the onion after the potatoes cook halfway so they don't burn. Season with salt and pepper and they are ready to eat! 

Note: I sometimes add cayenne pepper to the potatoes to give it some zip. 

0 comments: