Monday, March 21, 2011

Food Day: Mexican Style!

I gave my husband the choice between Italian or Mexican food tonight, and he picked Mexican (surprise surprise) so I decided to make Enchiladas and Spanish Rice. 

Chicken Enchiladas

Ingredients:

  • Four boneless chicken breast (shredded or cubed, I shredded)
  • 1 onion, minced
  • 1/2 pint sour cream
  • 3 Tablespoons of cream cheese
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon of both salt and pepper
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 4 ounce cap of green chilies
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 8 (12 inch) flour tortillas
  • 1 can enchiladas sauce
  • 3/4 cup cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. I cooked the chicken all day, using my salsa chicken recipe. I like how easily the chicken shreds afterwards. Cubing and cooking on stove top works well too. Once cooked, put chicken in skillet, and add onion, garlic, cheddar cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, oregano, pepper. Heat until the cheese melts. Stir in salt, salsa (I didn't need to because I used salsa chicken which already had salsa in it) chili powder, parsley, and green chilies. Roll even amounts of mixture onto tortillas. Arrange evenly in a 9x13 baking dish. Cover with enchilada sauce and 3/4 cup of cheddar cheese. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Let cool 5-10 minutes before serving. 







Spanish Rice

Ingredients:

  • 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
  • 1 cup of uncooked long grain rice
  • 1 teaspoon of garlic salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
  • 1/4 cup of chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
  • 2 cups of chicken broth

Heat oil in large pan and add onion. Cook until it starts to soften and add rice, stirring consistently until puffed and golden. While rice is cooking sprinkle with cumin and salt. Stir in tomato sauce and chicken broth, bringing to a boil. Lower heat to simmer and cover for 20-25 minutes. Fluff with a fork.



Now you are all done, and I instruct you to eat this delicious Mexican meal! 



3 comments:

Lynn said...

Sounds like another winner!!!! yummy....

Molly said...

It really was delicious! I have made enchiladas before, but these trump them!

Matt said...

You forgot to mention how I described it at first....the cheese made it taste like pizza with Mexican stuff in it. Yeah, that was the best I could come up with....but it actually didn't taste anything like a pizza. It was amazing though! And the rice was good too!