When we went to the grocery store the other day we picked up some fresh broccoli. It looked so green and I figured we would just use it as a side dish, until I stumbled upon a recipe I just had to try! It combines my love for veggies, chicken and cheese. I mean cheese and broccoli is a win win in my book anyday!
Here it is, Broccoli Chicken Divan
- 1 pound fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups of cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 can of cream of broccoli soup
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese (give or take, I say more is better with cheese)
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 2 tablespoons of dried bread crumbs (I used Italian)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. While the oven is preheating cook the broccoli. Place in a boiling saucepan for five minutes. I also suspect you could do them in the microwave. This is just to soften it. Once tender place the broccoli in the bottom of a pie plate and top with the chicken. In a bowl combine soup and milk and pour over the chicken/broccoli. Sprinkle the entire mixture with cheese, and top with melted butter and the bread crumbs.
The crust gets so nice and the added cheese topping just puts this dish over the top! It is a great way to get your kiddos to eat their veggies!
Note: We served our Broccoli Chicken Divan with mashed potatoes, but rice would be wonderful as well!
- 2 1/2 pounds of potatoes, peeled and chunked
- 3 ounces of cream cheese
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 1/4 cup of butter or margarine (I always say butter is better!), softened
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt (or I like to put 2-3 cloves of garlic. Just add when boiling potatoes and mash with the potatoes)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Mash potatoes and add all ingredients except for paprika and mix. Transfer potatoes to a greased baking dish and sprinkle with paprika. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until heated.
Note: Sprinkle top with cheese before baking, because really cheese makes everything better.