Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Food Day: Salsa Chicken!

 I have been slacking on my food day posts, but I have a new two week menu planned so getting my recipes on here should be much easier! 

I am trying a new, simple recipe tonight, that has a Mexican flare to it. We are trying Salsa Chicken. I am pretty excited to give this one a whirl, because this girl loves anything with salsa. I did change it up a bit and decided to use my crockpot. With a baby on board it is easiest to do things that way some days. 

Salsa Chicken

Ingredients:

  • 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
  • 4 teaspoons of taco seasoning (I am making my own and will post below)
  • 1 cup of salsa
  • 1 cup (give or take, I say give) of cheddar cheese
  • Chunk of cream cheese (Thanks Tina for the suggestion!)
  • 2 tablespoons of sour cream. This is optional and since my husband doesn't enjoy sour cream I will use both tablespoons on mine. Yum!



    Put a thin layer of salsa on the bottom of the crockpot. Add chicken that has been sprinkled with taco seasoning and top with the rest of the salsa. I used a bit more than a cup because I like it to remain moist. Cook on high for four hours or low for eight. Before serving sprinkle with cheese and put cover back on to melt, this is also when you can add your hunk of cream cheese. 





    I decided to shred my chicken up after cooking and put it into quesadillas for a real Mexican feast! My husband said it was really delicious, and I have to agree!







    Note: Additional toppings added would be delicious! JalapeƱos, onion, black olives, tomatoes...you get the picture!

    Taco Seasoning

    I found my taco seasoning here, and I really love it! It has just the right amount of spice!

    Ingredients:
    • 1 tablespoon of chili powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
    • 1/4 teaspoon of dried oregano 
    • 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cumin
    • 1 teaspoon of salt
    • 1 teaspoon of pepper

    Mix together in a bowl and store in an airtight container. It is great for tacos, sprinkled on chicken and LOTS more! 





    3 comments:

    Lynn said...

    Looks like another delicious meal!!! Kudos Molly!!

    Molly said...

    It actually was one of my favorite ones I have made lately! A definite repeat for this family. :)

    Matt said...

    It was so flavorful! I want to try it sometime in taco form too.